Dealing with anxiety. What you can do?
Anxiety is an unpleasant and vague emotional state, which is characterized by the expectation of unfavorable events, bad feelings, fear, stress and worry. Anxiety differs from fear in that anxiety usually is pointless, whereas fear implies object, person, event or situation, which led to its development.
Anxiety is common to all people, with the only difference being that one cope with it better than others. Anyone has their own biological clock. Breaking our body regime, we reduce its defenses and make it adapt to additional stressors. The following techniques will help you to live more quiet life and cope with anxiety better.
Taking care of yourself
- Control the consumption of caffeine containing products. Caffeine can exacerbate anxiety, disrupt your sleep and even provoke panic attacks.
- Eat small frequent meals during a day. Abstinence from food lowers the blood sugar levels and may cause anxiety and irritability.
- Make your life easier, – do not shoulder the burden of life problems, do one thing at a time.
- Learn the anxiety relaxation techniques.
Rely on somebody else
- It is important to talk to someone you trust, when you feel anxious. Anxiety and worry are exacerbated if you feel weak and lonely.
- If you are worried about the quarrel, talk to someone, who is not involved in this. Outside point of view may help you to look at the situation differently and find the way out.
- Make a schedule and follow it. Our body quickly gets used to fixed schedule and can work with less load.
- Pay attention to the signs of fatigue. Try to get enough sleep.
Get used to uncertainty
Inability to put up with uncertainty predisposes to anxiety development. Anxious person tries not only to predict the future, but also hopes to channel it into desired direction. The problem is that we can’t make our lives more predictable in this way. Trying to control, we infuse anxiety and fear. First, one needs to learn how to live in a state of uncertainty gradually. Ability to cope with uncertainty – is the key to anxiety-free life.
Rely on your body
During anxiety it is important to rely on your own body, as your thoughts may be frightening; thus you need to feel your body support first, including your breath and feet (try to feel as your feet touch the ground). The intensity of emotions will diminish if you take deep breaths and pay attention to how are you breathing.
Say no to negative thinking
Negative thinking and waiting for something bad to happen may also provoke anxiety. Negative thinking can easily foment anxiety, which makes us expect the worst.
Progressive muscle relaxation
When you become enveloped in anxiety, progressive muscle relaxation can help you relieve muscle tension and simply take a timeout. This technique involves the subsequent tightening and relaxation of different muscle groups. Along with the body, your mind relaxes as well.
Visualization technique is another method of relaxation, based on the mental transfer to some picturesque place or situation.
It is necessary to imagine not only the visual picture of the place, but also smell, sound, lighting and tactile sensations. Just close your eyes and get into a comfortable position.
It is proved that meditation reduces anxiety. Studies show that meditation can actually change your brain. Regular meditation classes strengthen the activity of the left prefrontal cortex, – a part of the brain, responsible for the sense of peace and joy.