Stress release. Can you help yourself?
When facing the severe stress, it is very useful to know the techniques and methods of stress release, which can help to remove the negative effects of stress. Here are some effective ways to do stress release:
- Anti-stress breathing. Calm breathing must be carried out in the following way: slowly inhale through your nose, keeping your breath for a few seconds, and then exhale calmly.
- Relaxation. To do this you need to relax – try to release tention in your face, shoulders and arms. With the help of relaxation you will calm your thoughts and feelings.
- Distraction. Take a good look around, focus on the objects you will find, studying in detail each of them. Pay attention to their features and enumerate them to yourself (color, shape, location). This will help you to distract from the current stressful situation.
- A change of scenery. Try to leave the room where the conflict or stressful situation took place, or even better – go catch a breath of fresh air and settle your mind.
- Physical activity. Try to distract with the help of other activities. For example, you can do cleaning or laundry when you get home. While at work you also can clean up your workplace that you never have enough time to do. Physical activity also has a positive effect on distraction from stress and inner tension.
- Favorite music. Listen to calm and relaxing music that you like and it will evoke positive emotions and maybe some pleasant memories.
- Simple calculations. You can calculate how many days are left until some notable event, such as your or your loved ones’ birthday. You may also think and plan how you will celebrate. These pleasant chores will distract you from unpleasant thoughts.
- Communication. Talk to colleagues on different topics outside the area of work-related attitudes, or other close people. Discussions on distracting topics will eliminate the conflict situation of your consciousness.
Sleep pattern normalization is important in stress release too!
Everybody knows that prolonged stress can disrupt normal sleep, while the proper sleep has a profound impact on the nervous system recovery, protecting it from the overload. A good night’s sleep can contribute to stress release and restore the physiological balance that has beneficial effect on all body systems. Remarkably, but such recovery is essential and can not be achieved in other ways. Adults need 7-8 hours of normal sleep per night. However, this number is highly individual and if you usually sleep longer on weekends, it means that those hours of sleep on weekdays are not enough for you. In order to restore the disturbed sleep, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Try to go to bed and get up at the same time.
- Avoid exercise before bedtime.
- Try not to eat before bedtime.
- Go for a walk (20-30minut) before going to bed.
- It is very useful to have a relaxing bath or massage before sleep.
- Your should have a hard bed and small pillow.
- Your bedroom should be regularly aired. Sleep with the window open in the summer if possible.
- Reading before bedtime – is a good sleeping aid.
- Do not smoke before going to bed. Smokers fall asleep five times slower than non-smokers.
- A strict diet is harmful for a healthy sleep. Hunger may wake you up at night.
- Decrease your caffeine intake and drink the last cup of coffee no later than 6 hours before bedtime.
- If you take the sleeping pills, remember that they are addictive. Use them only in case of emergency and severe stress.